Reality Check?

So, I just finished watching a PBS documentary DVD thing called "Ghosts of Rwanda." Between tsunami's, earthquake's, and this film, I feel like a tiny, helpless, and unimportant homo-sapient. How often do we see suffering in the world, or at our very doorstep, and do nothing about it?
I am praying (and hoping) that the Church will rise up in this time and lend a hand to our brothers and sisters in Japan. I pray that we would not let differences such as race, language, or distance get in the way of washing the feet of the country Japan. I pray that the Church would be so quick to respond that the governments can take a step back and say, "These people have got it." (at least figuratively) And I pray that those affected by this tsunami/quake directly would get the care and help needed. For those who were injured, I pray that they be healed; for those lost, I pray they be found-even if it's only a body, at least the family can have peace of mind; for those without homes/possessions/food I pray that they be taken care of and provided for (Psalm 104). For those effected on the west-coast of USA (Hawaii and Cali) I pray that you would have Your hand in those situations as well.

I look at what took place with the genocide in Rwanda, and I ask myself, "How can so much death occur, and nothing be done?" We said we'd not let something like the Holocaust happen again, and yet we stood by and let this continue. My heart broke when I saw the devastation. Not only the devastation of the Rwandans, but the devastation of the Westerners/Europeans who remained behind. Seeing the guilt in the UN military leader, even though he could do nothing/control was no longer in his hands, the anger/frustration of a US worker who remained behind because the land of the free remained neutral-that broke my heart. Seeing children maimed by those possessed by an evil so big, that crushed me. I can not begin to imagine what they all went through. BUT-it makes me want to help in some way!

Once again, that feeling of helplessness kicks in. Why am I in college when I could be out there doing something? Why couldn't I do something here?

How do I do something while I'm here?

Comments

  1. I've been feeling a bit of the "why am I in college when I could be out there" lately, too...it's hard to justify sometimes. But I think it's good to feel that tension, to be bothered by those things (we get so desensitized) and try to find ways to live here as though those things matter. I'd be interested to hear what you come to...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely. I would think something were wrong with me if I came back from an experience like India and it didn't change or enhance the way I viewed things.
    I'll definitely let you know if I come to a conclusion of any kind, though :) I think I might be on to something currently, but I want to see if it's even plausible here at TIU before I allow myself to get excited.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Long time, no write

Easter Baking Frenzy

Take the Wheel - Please!