Timelines

So in the past 2.5 weeks I received what I classified as "disappointing news."

Good news: I have completed my music therapy internship!
Bad news: I won't be going before the University IRB until August, and the hospital's IRB until November.
Bad news continues: I won't be able to begin collecting my data until Christmas break - approximately the first 3 weeks in December.
Bad news: I now cannot complete my thesis until the Spring semester.
Bad news: I don't graduate with my M.M. until May 2016.
Good news: I can sit for the CBMT whenever I want.
Good news: I have (for at least the Fall semester) a graduate assistantship.
Good news: I have an entire school year to work on my thesis, rather than a semester.
Good news: I have some part-time contract work with the hospital for a few weeks.
Potential good news: I might be able to get some work through a private practice.
Bad news: I have to leave a town I love, and the friends I've made in it, for a while.
Good news: I will be reunited with a good friend for the year in Tally.
Good news: My cost of living will be significantly lower than what it has been for the past 6 months.

Bad news: This is not in my timeline.
Good news: [I have to keep reminding myself] This is a part of God's timeline for me.

I am still struggling with being okay with how things have turned out. WHY? Because this is not the future I saw for myself.
Right away I see what is wrong with that sentence: "my" plans "my" future...me, me, me. It's funny, in a not-so-amusing way, what it takes sometimes to get our attention. It took me making an uncharacteristic mistake - not checking on the deadline for FSU's IRB - for my attention to be redirected to where my focus has been lately: ME.

There are many opportunities awaiting my return to Tallahassee, and yet I keep thinking to myself - but I'm missing out on...on what?! On the uncertainty of having a job come December in SoFlo, academic-induced stress, cramming for my boards?
Yes - this has pushed back when I will get to see my family (come Christmas it'll have been a full year of separation!), but that's part of growing up, right? You deal with long-term separation, and hope that when you're reunited, that time together means so much more. Also, I will hopefully be able to get my first year of job experience, while still in school. Add that to my new credentials (NICU & NMT certified), I will have an edge that most graduates will not. So, I'll be more marketable, right? And, this gives me more time to explore where I want to end up long-term: do music therapy overseas or stay in FL for a bit?

I have to look at this new timeline as MORE open doors, MORE possibilities, & BETTER opportunities. It's not about me, and that's what I really have to remember. My ways may not be His ways; His plan for me is always going to be better than my plan for me.

I'm telling y'all, if I keep learning these lessons while I'm stepping into my adult-role, how much more am I going to be able to offer those around me?

Endless opportunities and adventures await...let's hope I am wise enough to recognize them and brave enough to accept them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long time, no write

Easter Baking Frenzy