Nostalgia Galore

I finally watched two movies that have been out for a bit tonight: Inside Out and Paper Towns. Let me tell you, both brought on the nostalgia like you would not believe. Just to be clear, I am not a crier, and the last bit of Inside Out, the water works kept gently falling. The fact that the holidays are quickly approaching, without the presence of family...not helping either.

I have to say, Inside Out, so well done. As a young adult, I found things that I could relate to from my childhood, teen years, and college/grad school years. As a music therapist I found myself wanting to jump in and help Riley, Joy, & Sadness work through the emotions.

I think I felt such strong emotions of sadness/nostalgia during Inside Out is because like Riley, I too am starting a new chapter in my life. Pretty soon, there will no longer be the buffer of "student" status between me and the "real" world. I have finished my certifications, and have but a few (major) "to-do's" left on my list before graduation. The job hunt is on...but so is an intense questioning of what my next steps really should be. Do I pursue the standard route or do I break from the mold and follow my dreams? This has lead to copious researching online at what options are already available to me. OR [disclaimer what will follow is a nice bit of dream-weaving, so read with a grain of salt] I can just get famous for my gorgeous voice and create my dream job from the funds attained through my fame. BAHAHAHA. Can we just agree that when I dream, boy do I go all out?!

Needless to say, I am fast approaching a cross-road. Do I take the path rarely traveled or do I do what is expected of me?

So. many. emotions. So. many. thoughts. So. much. overanalyzing.

To tie this back to the movies (like my smooth transition?)...Adele's live-stream on iHeart radio & Paper Towns.

Paper Towns - kind of a slow movie, BUT the theme behind the story, also brought on the waves of nostalgia. It doesn't help that for the first time in almost a year, I saw all three of my high school bff's - via GoogleHang - and played catchup. One of them is engaged!!! Holy-life-continuing-on-moment!

Shoot, after listening to Adele's premier of "25" on iHeart radio where she talked about one of her songs (might have been "A Million Years Ago") and the idea/story behind it...phewf! She talked about how she has people that she will always be close to, but since having her kid and life happening, etc., she and her friends aren't as close/intimate as they once were because as you create a life for yourself, you have to kind of focus on that life more, and in doing so, you lose a little bit of your old life. I mean talk about deep! SO back to the movie, high school besties (dudes) relationship is highlighted and the changes leading up to heading off to college, yahduh-yahduh-yahduh. Needless to say, I had flashbacks to high school, but more so to undergrad and the friendships I developed while there. One of the high school friends told us that she had read some study that said if you've been friends with someone(s) for 7+ years, you're pretty much set for life as friends (of course I'm re-/para-phrasing).

Well....high school group, definitely over 7 years (this is our 10th year!) and college friends this will be our 7th year.

But yeah, back to my main point - change, next stages of life, etc. We have to accept that change is inevitable. Don't get me wrong, I love adventures, traveling, trying new things, BUT I also can become a creature of habit. I think I've slowly started to mourn the fast-approaching end to the last vestiges of my childhood. Once grad school is done, once I figure out where I am being called to go, I hit the real world completely. There will be no more, one foot in the school door and the other in working adult door. Full-on grown-up. What's weird about all of this too, is that all of my friends have basically been in 'Door #2' for at least the past 2 years. Soon, I join their ranks. It's both terrifying and exhilarating.

What kind of conclusions have I come to since the movie night, party of 1, and my Adele "25" geek-out fest?

I think I can say that between my previous post and today's post, that I am becoming more aware of my emotional state and mindset. I tend to try to focus on anything but how I'm feeling, by focusing on everyone else & push lil'-ol'-me to the side, until it's too late. These life-changes (of both friends and myself), the recent semi-heavy spiritual moments, and Father Time have made it necessary that I check in with myself. To be aware of one's state of being is not a bad thing. When you're in tune with yourself, you are more capable, stronger, & better equipped to handle those curve balls that have perfect timing.

I continue to pray for guidance as I job search, dream-weave, & finish grad school strong. There's no way I could do this without relying on God's strength, let me tell you! So with prayer, sleep, and a trustworthy support system, I'll continue to walk forward and take the opportunities to grow as they come.

PS
If anyone reads this and knows of a good non-profit organization/cause that works with displaced persons (those seeking asylum in other countries, whatever) in need of/interested in hiring a music therapist..............just sayin'.

As I head to bed, I pray a blessing over those in need of a safe refuge, those making their way out of dangerous places/situations, those serving all over the world (servicemen/women, missionaries, aid workers, educators, law enforcers etc), mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters, people of every tribe and tongue, the ill, the wealthy, needy, etc.

Numbers 6: 24 - 26
The Lord bless you
    and keep you;
25 the Lord make his face shine on you
    and be gracious to you;
26 the Lord turn his face toward you
    and give you peace.”’

Good night.

Comments